Skip to main content

Love and Laughter in Lockdown

ARITRA GHOSH, winner of the  Kosambi Memorial Book Prize 2021, awarded every year by Permanent Black, gives us a student's guide to surviving final year locked away from friends. 

 "I suppose the story of my experience of the pandemic year as a student is still a work in progress. Too early to pin down, as we say in history"

When I had to return home to Delhi for the mid-semester break around February-March last year, I had no idea that I would not be returning to the University for the whole year and more. By May, I was in disbelief and denial. Maybe that is why I chopped off my hair. It was a terrible decision. 

    By June, I was fuming and by August, I was considering how and who to bargain with so that the virus would simply cease to be. By September, my humour had begun to become like, you know, the kind of strange stuff you expect from tired adults. Clearly, that was because I had spent a significant amount of time around my parents. By December, as best as could be expected, I had come to terms with the fact that life would not be returning to its mundane normalcy anytime soon. What brought the realisation home was the fact that my sister and I had begun to speak in-sync. 

    To me, the past year has been quite amusing and interesting for a number of reasons. I used to be quite poor with technology. Even now, sometimes, I forget how to operate simple functions on my laptop such as, how to access and change the contacts lists on my email account. Or even as to how to automatically generate ‘contents’ on Microsoft Word. But at least I know these things now. If a year ago, someone had told me that I – of all people – would be able to use and rely on technology for my work, I would have humoured them with a wry, disbelieving smile.


    Then there is the fact that remaining cooped up with my work, music and books has given me a certain perspective I did not have before this moment. You start relating to what you work with and what you study more deeply. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that the barriers between what is one’s student life, and what is one’s social and personal life have broken down in the past year.

    And so, I must admit – if I had not taken the course on ‘Love and Laughter in Antiquity’ with Nayanjot Lahiri last year, I wouldn't have been able to feel amused about most things. I now realize that it is a very important skill in life – the ability to perceive dissonance and to find that humorous. I am supposed to be in University in this last year of my undergraduate degree, holding discussions, speaking and interacting with friends and peers in real life, and making the most of things. And yet here I am at home, doing my work from my bed. The irony of the situation is certainly not lost on me – and I do find it rib-ticklingly funny.

    Then, there is the fact that last semester I took on six high-level courses, assuming that the extra time I now had on my hands would allow me to breeze through. I learnt quite a lot – mostly about the importance of perspectives and learning to work and re-work history. It was both rewarding and exhausting. In that sense, it has been the best of both worlds. For instance, I did my undergraduate thesis with Upinder Singh last semester, and I remember how on the day of the submission, Professor Singh had to actually ask me to stop my tiresome incessant revising and to let the thesis go. It really was an exacting task, but very fun as well.

    Now that I am actually reflecting on the year that has gone by, I realise – perhaps belatedly – that we create and mould our own narratives in order to make sense of our experiences. We imagine that life has order and meaning and direction and accordingly, frame our bigger pictures. It seems like such an amazingly human thing to do. Viewed in that sense, at the moment, I suppose the story of my experience of the pandemic year as a student is still a work in progress. Too early to pin down, as we say in history. I have not begun to think of all that has happened in terms of a narrative. When I do, hopefully, it will be a good story.

Aritra Ghosh (centre) being awarded the Kosambi Memorial Book Prize yesterday. Nayanjot Lahiri (lowest row, right) spoke on Kosambi; Upinder Singh (middle row, left) read from his autobiography, Nivedan; Mahesh Rangarajan (top row, right) gave away the prize.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE BOOK OF INDIAN ESSAYS

Indians have been writing prose for 200 years, and yet when we think of literary prose we think of the novel. The “essay”   brings only the school essay to mind. Those of us who read and write English in India might find it hard to name an essay even by someone like R.K. Narayan as easily as we would one of his novels, say Swami and Friends or The Guide . Our inability to recall essays is largely due to the strange paradox that while the form itself remains invisible, it is everywhere present. The paradox becomes even more strange when we realise that some of our finest writers of English prose  did not write novels at all, they wrote essays. The anthology is an attempt at making what has always been present also permanently visible. Arvind Krishna Mehrotra   • A collection of the finest essays written in English by Indians over the past two hundred years. • The Book of Indian Essays is a wide-ranging historical anthology of the Indian essay in English – the f

THE GREAT AGRARIAN CONQUEST by NEELADRI BHATTACHARYA

BUY THE PAPERBACK       FROM THE REVIEWS   Review in SOCIAL HISTORY, USA by Benjamin Siegel The Great Agrarian Conquest represents a massive intervention into the contemporary historiography of South Asia, elaborating upon some conventional wisdom but upending a great deal more of it. Readers might well place this book in conversation with works like Ranajit Guha ’ s A Rule of Property for Bengal (1963) and Bernard Cohn ’ s Colonialism and Its Forms of Knowledge (1997), to which The Great Agrarian Conquest owes some preliminary inspiration. Yet what Bhattacharya o ff ers is a wholly original account of the transformation to agrarian colonialism . . .   Few volumes in South Asian history have been more awaited than this monograph, Neeladri Bhattacharya ’ s fi rst. One of the most celebrated mentors and researchers at New Delhi ’ s Jawaharlal Nehru University, Bhattacharya retired in 2017 after a decades-long career. His formal scholarly output, limited to sev

PARTHA CHATTERJEE: THE TRUTHS AND LIES OF NATIONALISM as narrated by Charvak

"While the Covid-19 pandemic was still raging in the autumn of 2020, I found, one evening, placed outside the door of my home in Kolkata, a sealed packet. Apparently, it had been left there sometime during the day. It did not come by post or any of the courier services that usually deliver mail because, if it had, someone would have rung the bell and I was home all day. In fact, the parcel did not bear any seal or inscription except my name and address written in English script in a confident cursive style rarely seen these days. My curiosity was aroused because the package did not look like a piece of junk mail. The thought that it might contain something more sinister did strike my mind – after all, the times were not exactly normal. But something in the look of the packet persuaded me that it should be examined. After dutifully spraying the packet with a disinfectant, I unwrapped it and found, within cardboard covers and neatly tied in red string, what looked like a manuscript